Rye whiskey version: This recipe serves one – double it to include your friend!
- 50ml / 1 2⁄3 fl oz rye whiskey (ex. Catoctin Creek Organic Roundstone Rye)
- 25ml 7⁄8 fl oz sweet vermouth
- 1 to 2 drops of Angostura bitters
- 1 lemon
- Some maraschino cherries
- Some ice
- Bourbon - Choose a high quality bourbon such as Maker's Mark. Alternatively, you can use American whiskey (Jack Daniels or Jim Beam) or Canadian whiskey (Wisers, Crown Royal or Canadian Club).
- Sweet dark vermouth
- Grenadine or maraschino cherry juice
- Maraschino cherries
- Angostura bitters
- Some ice
Rye whiskey version:1.Chill the glass. The cocktail should be cold but not on ice. Put some ice in the cocktail glass to cool it.2.Pour the rye whiskey in to the mixing glass. Add the sweet vermouth3.Add 1 or 2 drops of bitters to the mixing glass. (You can also add some orange peel in to the mix for a little extra zest.)4.Fill the mixing glass with ice.5.Stir the contents thoroughly, until condensation appears on the side of the mixing glass.
6..Pour. Dump the ice out of the martini glass, put a cocktail strainer over the mixing glass, and pour.7.Garnish. To garnish, run a lemon twist around the lip of the glass and drop it in, then add a couple of maraschino cherries on a cocktail stick.
The Manhattan is now ready to serve.!
Bourbon whiskey version:
1.Chill the glasses by placing them in the freezer or by filling them with ice.
2.Fill the shaker with ice.
3.Add three shots of bourbon.
4.Add 1-1.5 shots of sweet vermouth.
5.Add a splash of grenadine or maraschino cherry juice.
7.Pour the drinks into the glasses. Enjoy!