The Piña Colada is a favorite frozen drink with pineapple and coconut that saw an increase in popularity after the release of Rupert Holmes' 1979 hit and now karaoke favorite, "Escape (The Piña Colada Song)." It was created in 1954 by Ramon "Monchito" Marrero Perez at the Beachcomber Bar in the Caribe Hilton of San Juan, Puerto Rico with the intent of capturing the tropics in a glass.
You may also try the shaken Piña Colada, brandy based Kappa Colada or mocktail Coco Colada.
- 2 oz white rum
- 6 oz pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 oz Coco Lopez Coconut Cream
- 1 oz heavy cream
- maraschino cherry for garnish
- pineapple wedge for garnish
- Blend all ingredients with approximately 2 cups of ice.
- Strain into a hurricane glass.
- Garnish with the cherry and pineapple wedge.